International Geographical Union Taskforce for Young and Early Career Geographers
LATE DR. MANJU SINGH MEMORIAL YOUNG SCIENTIST (POSTER) AWARD
XIth International Geographical Union Commission Seminar on “Environment and Sustainable Livelihood” from February 8-10, 2018 at Guwahati, Assam, India
About the Task Force:
The IGU’s Young and Early Career Geographers’ Taskforce (IGU-YECG) was launched on 22 August 2016 at the 33rd International Geographical Congress in Beijing, China. The Taskforce Steering Committee comprises nine members and its primary aim is to stimulate young geographers to participate in IGU activities.
IGU- YECG aims to promote career development for early career Geographers through mentoring, training and competitions; stimulate interdisciplinary, international and inter-generational research conversations between Geographers and acknowledge and elevate the achievements of early career geographers in the Global North and South.
About the award:
During the XIth IGU Commission Seminar on “Environment and Sustainable Livelihood” from February 8-10, 2018 at Guwahati, Assam, IGU-YECG aims to present a special poster award, to foster the excitement of younger colleagues in presenting their work in the form of a poster. Therefore, posters are invited from young scholars on the theme and sub themes of this conference.
|Late Dr. Manju Singh|
The award is instituted in the memory of Late Dr. Manju Singh, daughter of Prof. R.B. Singh. Dr. Manju Singh, a young and dynamic academic did her M.Sc. from USA and PhD in nanotechnology from Italy. She left for her heavenly abode after a prolong illness on 9th December 2014. Prof. R.B. Singh, Vice President, International Geographical Union has been generous enough to provide financial support for this award.
Awardees will be selected on site (posters not attended at the scheduled time will not be considered) by a jury and name of award recipients will be announced during the conference. The award includes two prizes. Ist Prize a monetary award of Rs 5100/- and an IInd Prize of Rs 1100/-. Kindly note the certificate of merit will be given only to the awardees. There will be no participation certificate given for the poster award competition. However, a conference poster presentation certificate will be given by the conference organizers. The time and venue of the poster competition will be announced by the organisers of the conference. The name of the awardee will also be displayed on the official weblog of IGU-YECG.
Criteria for Application
Eligibility for the Young Scientist Poster Awards is as follows:
- Scholar is the only author of the poster and personally presents the poster at the conference.
- Scholar should be below the age of 35 years.
- Phil./Ph.D./Postdoc scholars and researchers can only participate in the competition.
- Discipline is not a boundary. Scholars from all the disciplines can participate with posters based on the theme of the conference.
Procedure of Application
Authors may express their interest in participating in the IGU-YECG Young Scientist Poster Award by submitting their abstract, copy of age proof and curriculum vitae (CV) to Dr. Dhanjit Deka (Conference Convener) at firstname.lastname@example.org and Gaurav Sikka (IGU-YECG) at email@example.com
Applicants are requested to mention in the e-mail subject “For IGU Young Scientist Poster Award 2018”
Last date for applying for Poster Award is 15th January 2018.
Guideline for Poster Presentation:
- The poster should be of A0 size. In order to fit the poster board, your poster should not exceed the recommended size.
- The name of each author must be clearly visible.
- Poster should be printed and brought to the congress by authors.
- Bring handouts of the poster
The seminar organizers will provide all materials necessary to affix posters to the wall/poster board.
Procedure of Selection
The judges evaluate the posters according to the following criteria:
- quality, originality and relevance of the research
- performance of presentation by the scholar and ability to defend the work
- adequateness as a poster presentation in relation to its contents
- curriculum vitae provided by the scholar
Note: Participants are requested to bring handouts of their posters
The decision of the jury will be final and binding.